Purple bow background

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

My Two Year Old's Tip For Escaping a Boring Conversationalist

My 2.5 year old son's happy songs these days are "Happy Birthday (to anyone)" and "Old MacDonald."  He sings these songs in the morning when he wakes up, at night when he goes to bed, in the car while we're driving, AND when he is tired of our conversation topic or he doesn't want to answer a question.

For example -
Me - Did you leave your cheese behind the couch?
Son - Old MacDonald had a farm.  E-I-E-I-O.

Me - We all need to clean up the family room after dinner.  Son, you need to....
Son - Happy birthday to you!  Happy birthday to you!

I have to admit, it's pretty funny.  It tends to get him out of trouble, because I lose track of what I was saying.  So a couple of weeks ago, I was having a conversation with a person that I really wanted to get out of.  I mean really wanted to get out of.  It occurred to me, as I was brainstorming how to break free, "Wouldn't it be awesome if adults could just stop a conversation or avoid a question by breaking into song?"  

For example -
Other person - Did I tell you (for the 7th time) how amazing my son is and that he can read and do division and he's only 4?
Me - You know I'm all about that bass, about that bass, no treble.

Other person - I went to the doctor the other day, and he told me I have allergies.  And then, I went to another doctor who told me I might be diabetic.  I wasn't sure he was right, so I went to another doctor who recommended I get some tests done.  And then, I made another appointment with an orthopedic doctor who says I need to have my bunions removed.  And did I tell you that....
Me - 'Cause uptown funk gonna give it to you.  'Cause uptown funk gonna give it to you.

Now unless you are just really willing to live on the edge of craziness, you probably aren't going to spontaneously start singing out loud to end a conversation.  I mean if you are willing to be that crazy, by all means, go for it.  BUT if you live in the more conservative world, sing your happy song in your head.  Sing it loud and proud (in your head).  The person you are talking to will think you are an amazing listener and you won't have to ponder the virtual torture chamber you have been locked into.

No comments:

Post a Comment