Purple bow background

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Here's to the Fun Dads in My Life

In honor of Father's Day, I thought I would take a few minutes to talk about the two amazing dads in my life - My dad and my kids' dad (AKA my husband).  As exhausted moms, we often spend our energy talking about how our husbands don't do as much, worry as much, or care as much as we do.  Whether that's true or not, one thing dads typically do better than moms is play more, be silly more, and act like a kid more.  Oh, how I marvel at that skill.

My kids visited my parents (Camp Grandmama & Granddad) last week.  The moment my son saw Granddad, he was in awe.  Seriously, my son just looked at him and smiled from ear to ear for at least 3 minutes.  It was like he was seeing a superhero.  Why?  I'm not sure, but I have to think it has something to do with my dad being the fun one.

After dinner when we are hanging out as a family, the person my kids go to is their dad.  Why?  Because he flips them over, tickles them, and generally acts like a goof ball.

My husband and my dad have the unique ability to look at things like spinning chairs and beds and see play toys and gyms.  I, on the other hand, immediately see what can go wrong with jumping on the bed or spinning in a chair.  But the men in my life seize the opportunity to have a couple of minutes of fun - much to the delight of my children.

When I was a kid, my dad dressed up as a Sioux Indian Chief, so that he could be the leader of our YMCA Indian Princess group.  And while moms, might have thought it was silly, I think my dad actually thought it was pretty fun.

My husband turns a chore like taking the trash out into a fun adventure to the curb.  Who knew there was so much exciting stuff to see on the driveway - rolly pollies, worms, rocks, and maybe even someone mowing their lawn (my son's fav)!

I could go on and on, but what I want to say is I'm so glad there are good dads in the world.  Because while rules and order are necessary, dads make us smile more.  Dads find silliness in everyday things.  Dads create magical memories.  So this Sunday, if you know a good dad, tell him you love him and appreciate him - and tell him you really do appreciate the kid in him (despite what you will say on Monday when he's goofing off instead of getting the kids to clean up toys)!


No comments:

Post a Comment