Purple bow background

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Andy Cohen is My Hero

Amidst all of the seriousness of working, running two businesses, and raising two children, my favorite guilty pleasure is Bravo.  In fact, I would go so far as to say I don't even feel guilty watching it any more.  I openly admit that I love watching the ridiculous lives of the Housewives, the Shahs, and the unemployed Charlestonians of Southern Charm.

I started out watching one Housewives show, which gradually led to another, and then another.  And now I find that I will pretty much watch anything that Andy Cohen airs.  I even like the scripted shows on Bravo (I find it hysterical that Bravo has to clarify that these shows are indeed "scripted"). I love Bravo so much it was the reason we did not get rid of cable.  And at this point, if Bravo would offer their own Roku channel, I could get rid of cable and just buy Bravo.

So why is this?  Seriously, how does Andy Cohen know middle aged suburban women so well?  Very good question.

In the midst of the flooding and tragedy here in Texas, I thought I would practice a little escapism and contemplate just why Andy Cohen is such a genius.  (By the way, if you don't know who Andy Cohen is (sacrilege), he is the creator and producer of the Real Housewives shows).

1.  Obviously, watching women who live very above average lives, is fascinating.  This is probably why I love the Beverly Hills show so much.  I LOVE seeing the mansions and opulent wealth.  Lisa Vanderpump's closet is bigger than my bedroom, and I have a decent sized bedroom.  The parties they throw are amazing!  Adrienne Maloof probably spends more on one party than I will make in 10 years.  Crazy.

2.  We love to judge.  Despite these women being wealthy, they are also pretty dysfunctional.  Most of the people on Bravo's reality shows are narcissistic, self-absorbed people.  (A few are not - love Lisa Rinna and Yolanda Foster - which I will address next.  But most of them are.)  They do not know how to share.  They do not know how to get along.  And watching them all interact with each other makes for awesome TV.  Lots of yelling, name-calling, childish behavior.  I typically walk away from a viewing with a nice sense of superiority.

3.  There is still someone we can relate to.  I do think this is the reason Andy Cohen's shows are more likable than other reality shows (like those on E).  There is always at least one person on the show who has some common sense.  Like Cameran on Southern Charm.  The rest of those cuckoos have no idea what it's like to have to support themselves and live responsible, accountable lives.  Cameran seems to be the one person who recognizes that and puts each person in his/her place. You can enjoy watching the ridiculousness of Whitney and Thomas, because she grounds the show in some sort of reality.

4.  Reality drama is better than fictional drama.  I don't know why this is, but it's true!  I can't stand the thought of watching a soap opera (daytime or night time).  Grey's Anatomy has never been appealing to me.  Soap operas seem fake and melodramatic.  The Real Housewives are melodramatic, too, but they aren't (at least not entirely) fake.  And for some reason the lure of getting to see what really goes on behind the walls of glamorous of mansions in Beverly Hills, Orange County, and the Hamptons is more appealing than watching a fictional drama.  I hate to admit it, but perhaps I actually start to care about some of these people because they are real...and at age 40, it's really hard for me to care about a fictional character.

At any rate, I just want to extend a heart-felt thank you to Bravo and Andy for keeping me entertained and distracted from the stresses of life!  Without you (and HBO), I might have to do something productive like read a book.  And that would really be a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment