Purple bow background

Friday, October 24, 2014

Is Halloween Just for Kids?

I like Halloween just fine.  I love spooky things and ghosts.  I like going to pumpkin patches.  I love seeing little toddlers in cute animal costumes.  And from a mom's perspective, Halloween is pretty easy to prepare for.  Buy a couple of costumes and some candy, and you're done.

But this year our daughter threw us a curve ball - she wanted mommy and daddy to dress up for Halloween, too.  Actually, she started asking for this last year after Halloween.  I was pretty quick to say, "Mommy isn't really into that.  Don't you have fun dressing up with your brother?"  I didn't seriously entertain dressing up.

I shared this story with a friend, and the friend reminded me to think about this from my daughter's perspective - something that maybe wasn't "my thing" was going to be very special to my child.  I had never thought of it like that.  But it did make me remember a year when my parents dressed up for a Halloween party.   Even though I wasn't going to the party, I thought it was so cool they dressed up.

So I conceded.  Well, fast forward one year, and like every other four year old girl, my daughter is in love with Elsa.  And she decreed we must all be Frozen characters.  She would be Elsa, of course.  Mommy would be Anna.  Daddy would be Kristoff, and little brother (who thankfully still goes with the flow) would be Olaf.  She even tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to turn the cat into Sven.

Although it's not Halloween yet, we have already dressed up for the school festival and I must say we had fun!  Our daughter got a huge kick out of watching us get dressed up.  We got to trim daddy's blonde Kristoff wig, which made everyone laugh.  And my daughter felt very special that the other kids thought her mommy was Princess Anna.

So I learned two things from this experience - 1) The holidays can actually be more fun when mommy and daddy aren't afraid to be a little silly and 2) My husband looks terrible as a blonde.

Happy Halloween everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment