Purple bow background

Friday, February 12, 2016

Why Are So Many Women Selling Stuff?

We all know what I'm talking about.  Every week you see another friend selling something - jewelry, skin care, Tupperware (do people still sell that?).  I have seen many friends "jump on the band wagon," while I sat back and said, "Why are they doing that?  I would never do that."

I looked at women who knew nothing about sales, nothing about business, and suddenly they were claiming to be their own business.  What?  As someone who spent a ridiculous amount of money getting an MBA, I quite frankly looked down on this type of "job."  It seemed completely...well, illegitimate...for lack of a better word.  I did not identify myself with doing something like that.  After all, I had a "real" job with a "real" company that gave me a "real" paycheck.  I owned my own company that I had started and built.  Why would I ever consider doing direct sales for one of these "mom sales" companies?

Well, I'll humbly tell you why.  After being approached by a company I viewed as being reputable (Rodan + Fields, makers of ProActive), I decided to at least ask some questions...you know...out of curiosity.  

1.  Question - Why would a company that sells legitimate products sell their products through untrained employees who just guilt their friends into buying stuff?  Why don't they sell their stuff in stores like real companies do?
Answer - Because companies who sell "mom" type products (especially more expensive products) get the majority of their business from other moms' recommendations.  It takes a lot longer to generate these recommendations when people can only purchase in a store.  Hence, companies increase their sales far faster by just letting the very women who recommend their products sell their products.  So why not give that 30% margin to the mom who did the work instead of the retailer?  Rather genius I must admit.

2. Question - If this stuff really works, why not sell it in a store?
Answer - See Answer to question number 1.  Products MUST actually work to be sold through this model.  Who is going to try to get their friends and family to buy crap if they actually want to keep their friends and family?

3.  Question - Don't I have to put a lot of work into making very little money?  After all, I get paid pretty well in my "real" job.  There's no way this income could compare.
Answer - At least at Rodan + Fields, there are moms who make $1 million a year.  My mentor calculated that she makes about $75/hour.  That's not too shabby.

4.  Question - Do I have to hit minimum sales goals?
Answer - Again, I can't speak for all direct sales models, but at Rodan+Fields, you absolutely do not.  You can sell at your own pace.  For example, I have a goal of making $1000/month working no more than an extra 5 hours a week.  I don't need to replace my income.  I just want some money to pay for some extras - vacations, pay off debt faster, a new HVAC (so glamorous).

5.  Question - How is that doable?
Answer - Choose a product you truly believe in, and it's easy for you to want to talk about it.  You just incorporate talking about the product and what you do into your everyday conversations. You're enthusiasm is contagious and people are naturally interested.  You have lots of networks of people who might benefit from the product or from an extra source of income.  You don't have to go create anything new.  You just have to create a new habit.  It's pretty easy.

6.  Question - How hard is it to get started?
Answer - Again, just speaking for R+F, but not hard at all.  In fact, as an MBA, I found the direct sales model they had built to be fascinating and genius.  Unlike traditional corporate sales models that motivate sales people through competition, R+F motivates their consultants to support each other.  Each consultant is incented to help others.  For example, if I don't know the answer to a skin care question, I have access to dozens of other women with way more experience who will instantly tell me the answer (usually via FB), so I can look brilliant without really being brilliant.

So in short, I humbly retract my judgments of those who jump on this "mom" direct sales bandwagon.  These direct sales opportunities are really more like mom empowerment opportunities.   Whether you are a working mom or a stay-at-home mom, you are an expert on the products that are right for you and your family.  Therefore, why shouldn't you benefit from being the expert instead of XYZ, Inc?

If your answer is "yes" to these four questions, I recommend you seek out one of the many direct sales opportunities out there -

1.  Could my family benefit from some extra money each month? - for bills, retirement, to pay off debt faster, kids' activities, vacations, mom's shoes, etc.
2.  Do I have friends and family I talk to regularly?  Do I like to talk to people at the park or on an airplane?
3.  Do I feel comfortable sharing my opinion on products and opportunities I have enjoyed?
4.  If I knew I could make $50 during the time it takes me to level up one time on Candy Crush, would I be interested?

Just my two cents  -  Go out there and look for the right product for you and I don't think there's any way you will regret it!  I mean why shouldn't you be getting your share of the revenue generated out there because savvy moms give great product recommendations?


3 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Like with most jobs, direct sales is what you make it. If every mom was failing at this, would so many be joining up? Moms have a strange, wonderful network between them, trusting other moms for advice and knowledge. Moms with experience give other moms advice and recommendations; why not sell great products within your network as well? Well written; kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete