Purple bow background

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Holiday Stress - Already?

So the holidays are just around the corner - you know how I know?  Yes, of course, I have a calendar and know how to read it.  But what I meant was Lowe's and Home Depot already have Christmas decorations.  Ughhh.
Now I should tell you that Fall has ALWAYS been my favorite season - it gets cooler, you get to wear pretty boots, there's football (well, there's tailgating), and there are lots of awesome holidays I get to decorate for and celebrate.  LOVE it!
But something weird happened about 2 years ago.  My son was born.  No, that wasn't the weird part. The weird part was that once I had the hustle and bustle of two little kids, suddenly the holidays started feeling very stressful.
Now when I see the Christmas decorations at Lowe's, I mentally start preparing my to-do list.  AHHHHH.  So I pondered this the other day while my kids were miraculously entertaining themselves for five minutes.  How can I enjoy the holidays with two little kids and not let the stress take all of the fun out of it?
I decided to make a list of all of the FUN things I want to do with my family, not all of the things that have to be done (i.e. sending Christmas cards and buying gifts for my mother-in-law - nothing personal, Linda).  I'm talking about going to the pumpkin patch, decorating pumpkins, making Christmas cookies, and looking at Christmas lights.  I'm going to put those things on my calendar - they make me happy.  I'll get to the other stuff, too.  I didn't give up my Type A card after all.  But if my to-do list starts out with the fun stuff, hopefully, that will keep the fun in the holidays!
Anybody else have good holiday stress-relieving ideas????

No comments:

Post a Comment