Purple bow background

Friday, September 5, 2014

Sugar Chart Update

So I have an update on my sugar chart I implemented a few weeks ago.  A quick recap, I assigned points to the typical sugar items in our house (pancakes, cookies, sugar cereal, etc.).  Then, I told my 4 year old daughter she could have 4 points each day during the week and 6 points each day on the weekends.
Well, I am ecstatic, albeit somewhat surprised, to share that it is working amazingly!  We haven't had a single argument about sugar.  I haven't had to tell her "No."  I just explain if she chooses Lucky Charms for breakfast, she will only have enough points to have a yogurt when she comes home from school.  This amazingly seems to motivate her to opt for Rice Krispies in the morning, so she can have dessert after dinner that night.
I'm not saying this will work for every kid.  They definitely have to be old enough to be able to delay gratification, and they need to have some basic math skills, but it's worth a try.  It has been so awesome to remove this source of whining from our home - so that we have plenty of time to deal with whining about other important 4-year-old issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment