Purple bow background

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

A Little Reflection Can Simplify Things

So last week I was already feeling anxious about the upcoming week - I have a business partner coming in town (and staying with us) and my parents are coming to visit for five days.  And I'm still trying to get my website launched - oh and do my full time job and take care of my children and house.  All good things but all things that cause me stress.  So already I wasn't enjoying the weekend, because I was thinking of everything that had to be done this week.
Anyhoo - Saturday night was date night, and my husband took me to see a band play - not just any band, but a band I LOVED in college.  They played the college circuit and were famous in Texas but not in many other places.  They broke up shortly after I graduated from college, and I never thought I would see them play again.   So I was psyched to see them (albeit feeling a little old looking at the crowd who were formerly beer drinking, carefree college students now middle aged khaki-wearing parents checking on their babysitters) and hear the music that totally takes me back to my college days.
As I was listening to the music, I thought about how fun college was but also about how stressed I felt not knowing what was coming after college - Would I figure out what to do with my career?  Would I have the courage to try new things?  Would I get married and have kids?  Did I want to get married and have kids? So many uncertainties.  And I realized how awesome it felt to have figured all of that out.  Yes, that now means I have many responsibilities and I hardly feel like I have time to rest sometimes.  BUT I figured it out and that gave me a huge sense of relaxation on Saturday night.
So my tip for this week is if you are feeling overwhelmed, take note of how far you have come and what you have already accomplished.  Ask yourself if you would like to trade places with the you 10, 15, 20 years ago who had fewer responsibilities but probably still had a lot of uncertainties.  I sure wouldn't and that makes me enjoy today a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment